Right Of The Star

Monday, April 30, 2007

Internet Radio

From That Gay Conservative:

From Live365:

The future of Internet radio is in immediate danger. Royalty rates for webcasters have been drastically increased by a recent ruling and are due to go into effect on May 15 (retroactive to Jan 1, 2006!). Internet radio needs your help! H.R. 2060, The Internet Radio Equality Act was introduced by Representatives Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Donald Manzullo (R-IL) to save the Internet radio industry. Please call your congressperson to ask them to co-sponsor H.R. 2060 by clicking below.



Live365 and SaveNetRadio have tools available on their sites for contacting your representatives to support H.R. 2060.


I know Manzullo is one of the biggest supporters of small businesses but his support of internet radio is a big plus in my book.

I have long been disgusted by how the large entertainment companies have tried to criminalize the use of their products (music and movies). They could have gotten ahead of the curve and make it easy and affordable for consumers to legally access and use their products but instead they tried to limit and criminalize their customers. Digital Rights Management, spyware, lawsuits, their unwillingness to cooperate and offer their products (pre- and post I-tunes) have all done more to harm the long term prospects of their industry then file sharing ever could.

They are trying to stop the tides rather than use them.
DKK

PS - Let me add that I have never downloaded from or participated in P2P sites. As a matter of fact I have only downloaded one song ever that I bought from Walmart.com and it was lost when my last computer crashed.

No comments: