Right Of The Star

Friday, May 06, 2005

The Killers - Music Trek

I love the band The Killers, I mentioned them here - Entertainment Trek - Dizzy Day - where I wrote:
To the point, The Killers are great like a compelling mix of the original (not the newer "hipper" new stuff) U2, Duran Duran, The Cure, and Erasure. I love them!
Well a week or so I came across this review by this woman in Junk Magazine that spins an entire tale of a gay murder story played out in the album. I have sat on this for a few days and I have to agree with what she says. First, I agree that their music just makes me happy. Second, I think her interpretation may be on the mark.

Read the review: (Scroll down)

Are The Killers Gayer Than Fitness Fridays!?


I admit that while I have been listening to their album basically non-stop since early August, I had accepted the lyrics as typical, catchy, love-ish songs. Then again, I am the girl who had been singing along to Alannah Myles’ “Black Velvet” for something along the lines of twelve years before figuring out that it was about Elvis. So maybe I’m just kind of dense. It took the knowledge that there was a hidden plotline to the album to get me to listen the songs more closely. Then, like a bolt of lightening, a ridiculously complex and tenuously cogent theory hit me during one of the Killers’ Irving Plaza shows in October (which was, by the way, one of the best shows I have seen in a long time).


On the Mats with the Boys:

An Examination of the Homosexual Subtext of the Killers’ Hot Fuss

DKK


Oh, maybe this picture will help:

No comments: