Right Of The Star

Monday, September 13, 2004

Terrorism Unveiled

For an totally unique outlook on life and the three year anniversary check out Terrorism Unveiled. Go back there regularly for updates on life studing in Jordan.

What did I do on September 11?

September 11, 2001 did not have its full impact on me until September 11, 2004 as I stood on Middle Eastern sand staring at Hadrian's Arch in Jerash at 8:46 Eastern Time.

I felt like I could hardly breathe.

It is truly amazing how certain events can change your life forever and take you to places you never thought you would be. I looked out over the Sea of Gallilee. I looked into Israel, Lebanon and Syria from a hilltop. My cellphone kept sending me text messages saying "Welcome to Palestine, Enjoy your stay" to notify me I was roaming. I saw ancient Roman highways where the chariot tracks were still carved into the roads. I watched religious clerics chant Quranic verses five feet away from me from on top of the first Islamic castle and fortress built by Saladin.

I carry around a picture I took from atop the world trade center looking out over NYC with me in my bag everywhere I go here. It's my way of remembering why I'm here. On September 11, 2004, I put the date imprint on my camera because I wanted to remember.

Remembrance (this is 9 am est time):
Dscn0518

Looking into Syria and Lebanon:
Dscn0480

The Sea of Gallilee:

Dscn0481

Looking out over the first Islamic era castle:
Dscn0505

Roman Ruins:
Dscn0538

Looking out over Amman:
Dscn0333

DKK

No comments: